You must attend both nights to receive the certification. The class is limited to 24 students 16 years and older and must be a town resident. Registration is $10 cash or check made payable to the Borough of Collingswood. Registration is first come, first served. Register at the Collingswood Fire Department, 20 W. Collings Avenue, Collingswood, NJ 08108 Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm.
October is also Fire Prevention Month! The Collingswood Fire Department shares the following tips.
In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy. That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan. Here are this year’s key campaign messages:
· Draw a map of your home (see how here) with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
· Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
· Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
· Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
· Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
· Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
· If you need smoke detectors or assistance checking them, contact the fire department at 856-854-7447 ext. 0 to schedule a free home safety check and smoke detector installation.